Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Art of "Do it Yourself"





So, ever since Elliott and started thinking about having a baby, I started thinking about what his or her nursery would be like and I've always liked those letters that hang on the wall that spell out your baby's name.  Well, once we found out I was pregnant, I started looking around for the perfect letters.  I didn't want ones with the traditional Time New Roman font but I also didn't want too childish of letters either.  I found some really nice letters at this place called The Baby's Room, located in Clinton Township, when I went there to look at baby room furniture.  They were painted different colors and were a font that was really cute and unique.  Well, once I started to think more about the nursery, I decided to call The Baby's Room and inquire about the letters.  Well I spoke to someone working there and said I was interested in the wall letters that were behind the counter and asked how much they were.  Well, I was shocked at what the guy told me... He said the letters had to be special ordered and that they were 25 dollars a piece!!  Well for Ethan's name that would be 125 dollars!!  That's ridiculous, especially since I could technically do them myself!  Well, that's what I decided to do.  So I went to Michael's and bought wood letters for 1.00 dollar a piece and some gloss spray to spray them with after I was done painting them.  So, I ended up spending 5.00 dollars for the letters and 5.99 for the can of glossy spray... so a total of maybe 12.00 dollars including tax since I mixed my own paint and all ready had paint brushes.  And if I may say so myself,  I think they turned out perfectly fine without spending an extra 112.00 dollars on special ordered letters.

No comments: