Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Truth from a Hormonal Pregnant Woman

     I have to say that before I was pregnant, whenever I thought about Elliott and I having kids, I always thought I would have a really enjoyable pregnancy, that I would absolutely love being pregnant,  and that all the horror stories you heard about pregnancy were just that... stories. I was actually looking forward to being pregnant just as much as actually having a child.
     Well, then I actually became pregnant and everything started to change. Little things about your body that you wouldn't normally notice... all of a sudden, you notice.  Even the smallest things change and not all of them right away.  They take their sweet time, so when you think you're done with all the surprises....WWWHHHAAAAMMMM!!! You get hit with something new.  I get aches and pains that I naively thought I was too young to be feeling. Things start happening to you that you never had to worry about before like - heartburn, peeing 10 times a night, dry-heaving from the most normal smells, boobs that grow to 5 times their original size that get in the way of EVERYTHING (and the list goes on forever, but I think you get my point).  Even things that you would like to think you have control over seem to just happen without your knowledge or consent.... and no I am not talking about any gross bodily function... but I'm sure that comes into play later though ;o).  For example, your mood swings.  You'll be really happy one minute and the next, something sets you off and some random person gets their head bitten off. (Even though sometimes I think they deserve it, but that just might be my evil pregnant twin talking)  And granted, you don't tell everyone who asks you "how are you feeling?" about these things because they would run away as fast as they could thinking you were some crazed psycho woman who isn't grateful for the little miracle growing inside them. I'm convinced that when people ask that question, they're just asking to be nice and really don't want the truth because if they actually did want the truth, no one would be asking a pregnant woman that question again because of some old urban legend that would start about some guy that asked a pregnant woman for a truthful answer to that question and was never seen or heard from again.  Now obviously, not all the things that happen are as bad as they sound. Some of those things that change are really exciting because they cement that fact that you're pregnant and not just some rapidly growing fat woman whose pmsing all the time.  

     Now, don't get me wrong. Despite what I wrote previously, I actually enjoy being pregnant. First of all, each day of being pregnant gets me one day closer to holding Ethan, plus I feel him move all the time now, which is such an amazing feeling especially when you've never felt that before. And even though I have to make it through 40 weeks of pregnancy: that's 40 weeks of anticipation and planning that's unlike any other anticipation or planning that you've ever done before. The bottom line is, even if I had to go through the most horrific pregnancy the world has ever seen, I would do it in a heartbeat because it'll all be worth it just to have my Ethan.
     

No comments: